Having trouble finding a lawyer that can help you sort your legal issues? People in New York have discovered a novel and convenient method of finding a lawyer within their community that has the experience to deal with their legal matter. The Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) has recently opened a 24-hour-a-day online portal for people looking for lawyers.
According to State Bar President Claire Gutekunst, the LRIS helps clients have a relatively easy time when they need legal help. Individuals using this service can also be confident as they get an attorney who has been reviewed by the New York State Bar Association. The new online service was developed in partnership with Legal.io which provides the legal industry with marketplace and referral management technology.
The procedure of using the service is outlined below.
- Any person seeking a lawyer visits the website (https://nysbalris.legal.io) then fills a questionnaire describing the legal issue they face and their location.
- The State Bar staff reviews the questionnaire and match the individual with an attorney.
- The State Bar forwards the request to the appropriate county bar association if the person lives in a county with a locally run referral service.
- Referrals are free of charge, but upon consulting the lawyer, there is a 35-dollar fee for the first half hour.
- The person is under no obligation to retain the Lawyer after the first consultation.
Jeremy Goldstein is the founder at Jeremy L. Goldstein and Associates, LLC. The firm, located in New York, specializes in advising CEO’s, management teams and compensation committees in executive compensation. Jeremy Goldstein graduated with a Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree from New York University in 1999.
Before joining New York University, Goldstein graduated with a Master of Arts degree the University of Chicago in 1996 and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Cornell University in 1995.Goldstein worked for Sherman and Sterling LLP before 2014.